It’s not quite Thanksgiving… BUT WE’RE GOING TO TURKEY! ;) We leave for Turkey tomorrow at 4 am! The menu is: Istanbul, Troy, Ephasus, Galipoli, boat rides, bazaars, and mosques! DELIGHTFUL! I never thought I would have the chance to go to these places I have studied in Art History courses (like Haggai Sophia!) or watched in movies and read in books!
The field trip this week was a blast- we went to the valley of Arad, where David fought the giant Goliath and the Philistine army! It was a spiritual experience to think of the valley filled with warriors and to read of David’s sure faith. He didn’t go down to face Goliath think “well golly, I sure hope this works, God if you could maybe help me out a bit….” David had faith that could work miracles, fully KNOWING that he fought for the omnipotent Creator, he said: “Let no man's heart fail because of him; thy servant will go and fight with this Philistine. Thy servant slew both the lion and the bear: and this uncircumcised Philistine shall be as one of them, seeing he hath defied the armies of the living God!!!” (1 Samuel 17) We got to use slings and practice our giant slaying (and rock dodging) skills! I’m sure someone could kill a man with that weapon…. But it definitely wouldn’t be me.
We also visited the tel of Lakish where the Assyrians fought the Israelites before they took over Jerusalem. A tel is a mound of ancient cities… Because people would conquer again and again cities, they would simply build on top of each other and so it’s like a giant layered cake of history!
I didn’t have much time to go into the Old City to explore this week… because for some of our classes we had midterms! They weren’t nearly as hard as I thought they would be and I did well on all of them! :D Lots of reading…that’s the best way to describe my classes…. Homework is usually just hours of study and reading!
Some favorite quotes from my travels:
As we walk through the desert: “I’m really gaining a testimony of Lamen and Lemuel….”
“No Turkish baths in Turkey!” –Dr. Seely
“My father has 11 children…. That we know of!” –young man we met in village
You can have multiple wives in Islam... “You have 4 compartments in your heart… so you can have 4 wives!” –Bashir Bashir (Palestine teacher)
Miss Kara, would you allow me, to ask you, to expound your thoughts and feelings, concerning your, the statement, you made, in "some favorite quotes from your travels.............As we walk through the desert: “I’m really gaining a testimony of Lamen and Lemuel…............Miss Kara, I would be extremely interested in hearing, in detail, your thoughts and feelings on that quote........please.
ReplyDeleteWe love and miss you............Ken and Savannah
Bravoooooooooooooooooooooooo, Tyler/Warrior, truly one of Father's finest, way to step up and use your ingenuity and initiative, in tracking down the fan and creating the "hide out".
ReplyDeleteYou are the man........................we love you.................Stand Tall
Ken and Savannah