Saturday, October 26, 2013

Ishtar Gate for the City of Babylon (built by Nebuchaneezer)- Lion tiles. The rest of the giant gate is in Berlin.

Excavating for old columns and .... other rockin things. This was at the History Museum in Istanbul

Spice Bazaar first night in Istanbul.... I tried the Turkish Delight, and I honestly didn't find it that delightful. Haha! But I loved the different smells, bright lights, men asking you to buy things at every turn, and just crowded excitement here!!!

At our first hotel in Istanbul. Morning continental breakfast of cold eggs, weird cheese and meat platters, brownies, and cocoa puffs with hot milk. hahaha the breakfasts were always so weird, but the other meals we had were 3-5 courses of AMAZING kabab meats, vegetables, pitas, and mmmmmmm baklava!!!  

Feeeeeeed the biiiiiirds, topins, topins a bag. Or should I say doooooont feeeeed the starving pack of wild fowwwwwls, lirrra lirrrra a bag. These birds were INSANE. 

Outside the Blue Mosque- covered in beautiful blue Iznik tiles on the inside. Women have to cover their heads inside, as the custom for Muslim women. 

Our AMAZING tour guide, Necip. He was with us the entire week- and was so fun and really knew his stuff! He was "so so nice." and we always imitated his cool accent! He told us a story of how he met his Finnish wife while giving a tour to her and the group she was with!!! He talked about how he had led a party life and when he fell in love with her he knew he wanted to marry her in just a few short months of long distance dating... He took her to the place they had first met in Istanbul and he asked her "Do you want to spend your life with a crazy Turk?" She said Yes and they have two children now... I wish I could have met them! He was my favorite person of this trip. SUCH a great man... When he shared his story it honestly made me cry, I loved it. Turkey was just opened for missionary work about 8 months ago: just the city of Istanbul so far, but they have 12 missionaries there and have had 8 baptisms I believe... which is amazing!!

Blue Mosque... Lydia, Devyn, Whit, aaaaaand Ryan in the background!

Blue Mosque- there are 1000s of mosques.... Its incredible. Turkey is 98% Muslim!!! about half of those are really practicing, but it's still just amazing to see such a cultural religion!

The Roman Cistern built underneath the city! A giant resovoir for water!

YEP. we called it the squatty potty.

No comments:

Post a Comment